I was hired by our school district as a substitute paraeducator. My first sub job was yesterday. The coordinator kind of "warned" me that this was a high needs special ed class at an elementary school. When I got there, a 2nd grade boy was wailing in the bathroom. He was the one I was supposed to work with. Luckily they let the experienced ladies get him calmed down. Once they did, about an hour later, you'd never know he was ever upset. He had a service dog I got to hold onto at recess - a beautiful golden retriever. Then later I went to a different classroom with 4th and 5th grade students who were working around the 1st grade level. They were so loving and sweet (most of the time). I had a really good time getting to know them, taking them to recess, helping them with seatwork, reading to them, etc. I had really not been around special needs kids too much, other than a few in Primary, and I surprised myself at how I handled little challenges. I was a little petrified I was going to lose them at recess, but everyone made it back to class okay. I think the other teachers/paraeducators probably thought I was not firm enough, but it's hard to know how much to push when you're not familiar with the children. I treated them how I would want my child to be treated.
Anyway, it felt really good to be of help in that way, and make a little money besides. I just check a web site on mornings I feel like working, and if there's something there that will work with my kids' schedule, I can work. We'll see how it goes - so far so good!
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment